31 Dec 2008

What's In A Name?

A whole lot if it begins with a 'La' or 'De', and ends in an 'esha' and has a whole lot of apostrophes and hyphens which are actually substitutes for missing vowels and consonants.

Lil Mo's daughter's names are literally TAKE.THE.LIVING.PISS!!! Heaven Love'on Stone God'Iss Love Stone. If you're hella confused then Stone is actually the last name. She's expecting her third and I cannot wait to hear the BS name she gives this baby.

Celebrities seem to have a weird gene built in which stirs these fools on to name their kids.

Kingston and Zuma - Sons of Gwen Stefani and her love for everything black [except her man] Give it up Gwen!
Apple - Daughter of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin.
Peaches, Pixie and Fifi Trixibelle - Daughters of Bob Geldof and the late Paula Yates.
Princess Tiiaami - Daughter of Jordan and Peter Andre.

Some other strangeish names:
Atherton Grace: Don Johnson and Kelley Phleger
Audio Science: Shannyn Sossamon
Aurelius Cy: Elle Macpherson and Arpad Busson
Blue Angel: U2's The Edge and Aislinn O'Sullivan
Bluebell Madonna: Geri Halliwell
Brooklyn: David and Victoria Beckham (also parents to Romeo and Cruz)
Calico: Alice and Sheryl Cooper (also parents to Sonora Rose)
Camera: Arthur Ashe and Jeanne Moutoussamy
Destry: Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw
Diezel Ky: Toni Braxton and Keri Lewis (also parents to Denim Cole)
Fuchsia: Sting and Frances Tomelty
Gaia: Emma Thompson and Greg Wise
Gulliver: Gary Oldman and Donya Fiorentino
Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily: Paula Yates and Michael Hutchence
Hopper: Sean Penn and Robin Wright
Ireland: Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger
Jaz: Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi
Jazz Domino: Joe Strummer
Jermajesty: Jermaine Jackson and Alejandra Genevieve Oaziaza (previously married to Jermaine's brother Randy)
Kal-El Coppola: Nicholas Cage (Kal-El is Superman’s original birth name)
Kyd: David Duchovny and Tea Leoni
Lark Song: Mia Farrow and André Previn
Liberty: Ryan Giggs
Luna Coco Patricia: Frank Lampard and Elen Rive
Memphis Eve: Bono
Moon Unit: Frank Zappa, also father to Dweezil and Diva Muffin
Moxie CrimeFighter: Penn Jillette (also father to Zolten)
Ocean: Forest Whitaker (also father to Sonnet and True)
Pilot Inspektor: Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf
Poppy Honey: Jamie and Jules Oliver (also parents to Daisy Boo)
Rocket: Robert Rodriguez (also father to Racer, Rebel and Rogue)
Rufus Tiger: Roger Taylor also father to Tiger Lily and Lola Daisy
Saffron Sahara: Simon and Yasmin Le Bon (also parents to Amber Rose and Tallulah Pine)
Sage Moonblood: Sylvester Stallone and Sasha Czack (also parents to Seargeoh)
Satchel: Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee
Seven Sirius: Andre Benjamin and Erykah Badu
Sosie: Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick
Tallulah: Bruce Willis and Demi Moore (also parents to Scout and Rumer)


My name is Jewish/Hebrew [Naomi] and my sisters is Greek [Eleanor] and we are both black. English people butcher my name all the live long day, I love my name but the make it sound cheap n nasty. In America they seem to have no trouble with the pronunciation at all. It's Nay-O-Me not Nigh-O-Me lazy English f&%ers!

There is no desire for either one of use to give our children any ghettoized type names which are all too common in our community. If I hear of one more Shaquille, Jayden or La something I'm going to scream. I’d love to see a little black Chloe or Ava but the fact remains I just haven't. Maybe some folks think they sound 'too white' with a Jewish name like mine you think I care? I know at interviews they think they are expecting a white girl coupled with my popular English last name, but one thing is for sure my name never held me back. I'm just grateful I wasn't born a boy my mum said she would have named me Dinsdale.
WTF kinda name is that? Tell me how would I even have approached a girl with a name like that?
You know you've done it already in choosing the names of your unborn children. I have a ton of names for both boys and girls when the time comes, whether I go for them or not is another matter entirely. I seem to love biblical names for boys and very 'different' names for girls. It maybe to do with the little bit of tomboy in me that I just can't seem to shake off but I remember Blake Lively [a girl] on the cover of a magazine and thought Blake is a cute name for a girl. I don't think I'd have the balls to name my daughter Blake but I think it's cute. T-Boz and Mack 10's daughter is called Chase. I love that name for a girl too, even though it's also common for a boy in the US, but she's gorgeous so she can carry it off with no problems. If you're going to give your daughter a common boys name you better hope and pray they are beautiful so it doesn't seem as strange. What were Michael Michelle's parents thinking?

So far I have the following narrowed down for whenever that time comes...

Boys
Josiah [Hebrew]
Joshua [Hebrew]
Noah [Hebrew]
Samuel [Hebrew]
Caleb [Hebrew]
Elijah [Hebrew]
Jeremiah [Hebrew]
Micah [Hebrew]

Girls
Ava [Latin]
Madison [English]
Summer [English]
Anya [Russian]
Taylor [English]
Sofia [Greek]
Kacey [American English]
Savannah [Spanish]
Brooke [English]
Chloe [Greek]

If you are expecting or like me NOT, then you can still make use of a great website called Baby Names and add baby names to your 'wishlist' incase you forget them down the line. There is no shame in my game. I certainly will be using this site because I know come next week I will not be able to remember all of these let alone when it comes ready for me to even be thinking about having children.

I am in no way broody, just thinking ahead [like most women do].

2 comments:

  1. I must agree that I am totally concerned by what people are naming their children. There are meaning behind names and people need to unerstand this. I was young when I had my daughter and I named her Angel. I like it. My son's name is David. Very powerful name. I also know what my children's name mean(first and middle) Very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being African i had an issue with my African name in a Western world where its made fun of but the older i get i now know the importance of a name and will continue the tradition of giving my offspring an African name with meaning and mentally toughen my kid to be proud of his/her name and explain the origins. I must say i am happy that i dont have a name of Anglo descent or Roman Catholic. Who would have Thunk that a Barack Obama would be President of the United States of America. I know i have been discriminated based on my name because a lot of ignorant people think its of Indian origin but i am still standing and being a Black man it comes with the territory and i already have thick skin.
    I feel sorry for African American and the ridiculous names they are giving their kids but i also understand where they are coming from because after bearing the name of your slave masters for several years you are ready to pick anything that says you are free and is unique.
    Celebs are special people and many of them are so talented at what they do that they become handicapped when it comes to the Common sense department so thats why they are excused even though they influence the masses a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.