10 Dec 2009

What Would You Do If...?


...you were Rachel in that episode of Friends?  [Fellas you can answer this one too] The one where Ross was dating Julie who he met in China and couldn't decide whether he wanted to date her or Rachel, so he made a list on Chandlers new computer and went through them with his friends?

I saw that episode a few days ago and HAD to pose the question. Back in the day when I first saw this episode we were 2-3 years shy of having internet in our homes and blogs were unheard of. So I'm asking you now a decade and some years later.

A list of pros, cons and comparisons were listed between the two of you and Rachel saw it on the computer. What in the hell would you do?

My response: Any man that would go through the trouble of actually having to sit there with his friends [or even by himself] listing all of my flaws in an attempt to justify being with me and/or comparing me to someone else, doesn't need to be with me.



If you can't view the video, the basic premise of the transcript is below. An NO I did not type that out myself.


Season 2 Episode 8 - The One With The List
RACHEL: All right, you know what, that's fine. If you guys want to be children about this, that's fine. I do not need to see it. What is this? Ross, what is this?

CHANDLER: Good luck.
ROSS: Ok, just, just remember how crazy I am about you, ok?
RACHEL: Kind of ditzy? Too into her looks? Spoiled?
ROSS: Now that's a little spoiled. He was supposed to type "little", the idiot.
RACHEL: Just a waitress?
ROSS: No, that, that was, I mean, as opposed to uh, the uh, ok. Is this over yet Rache?
RACHEL: Oh! I do not have chubby ankles!
ROSS: No, no, wait, ok, ok, look at the other side. Look at Julie's column.
RACHEL: She is not Rachem. What the hell's a Rachem? Is that some stupid paleontology word that I wouldn't know because I'm just a waitress.
 RACHEL: No, you don't, Ross. Imagine the worst things you think about yourself. Now, how would you feel if the one person that you trusted the most in the world not only thinks them too, but actually uses them as reasons not to be with you.
ROSS: No, but, but I wanna be with you in spite of all those things.
RACHEL: Oh, well, that's, that's mighty big of you, Ross. I said don't go!
ROSS: You know what? You know what? If, things were the other way around, there's nothing you could put on a list that would ever make me not want to be with you.
RACHEL: Well, then, I guess that's the difference between us. See, I'd never make a list.


2 comments:

  1. I may be mad but really it could show a guy who thinks things through which is not a bad trait in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Myne on this one. I'd be pissed off, but in my time I've made pro/con lists and discussed relative merits of suitors.

    I don't have a problem with it in principle; some of the best decisions I've ever made in life and love have been based on making lists.

    The thing is, you don't want the object of your decision to 'see the workings'. It makes the 'Rachel' feel like an object, and makes them wonder what else they're competing for. Not a good foundation for any kind of relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.