21 Nov 2008

From The Ritz To The Pitz???

OK not the pits per se, but when you've done the business executive suite at the Ritz in Kuala Lumpur just because you can, there is only one way from there and that is on up to the Four Seasons or the Shangri La.

Fling an S in the mix and you have a type of accommodation that would break me out in a rash.

H.O.S.T.E.L

**APPLIES SOME ANTI-HISTAMINE CREAM**

I've been thinking about it for Sweden. Granted I'm going for 5 nights I could hack it, or could I? The thing is I wouldn't be going to just any old hostel. I'd do a search online and make sure they had female only dorms and showers, private rooms if that's the route I wanted to take. The plus points are you get to meet new people and it's much cheaper than staying in a hotel.

Granted I didn't see much of the suite at the Ritz Carlton, although coming back to luxury was a plus point as well as a butler on call 24 hours a day to bring up my hot chocolate on request whilst I lounged on the couch in my Ritz robe watching TV. But when you travel and go to fancy hotels if your aim is to meet likeminded, outgoing people you're more likely to bump into families, couples and people on business. Not the types of folks you can plan last minute outings to the local clubs or restaurants with.

I think it's time I dropped the vacation snobbery for a second and experienced something a little more unreserved than what I'm used to. I'll do the Ritz again and I'll definitely get around to the Four Seasons one day as well, but if my aim is to travel more next year then the expensive hotels may have to downgraded a notch in order to fit in even more exciting locations.

This one in NYC doesn't look too bad at all, and this one in Sydney, Australia

The Gershwin Hostel in New York City

I'm always saying doing something everyday that scares you. Staying in a hostel would count for one, that's for sure. I'll be using many resources to make sure I pick the best one based on the way it looks, price, facilities, locations and most importantly reviews.

1 comment:

  1. I'm o say it like Denzel did in Training Day "Man up Kid" Hostel is the way to go, Cut back on some of that snubbery for a minute and meet up with real people who share the same passion of traveling you have in hostels. If it was a free trip or dirt cheap i wont mind the Ritz or even a one night party but staying there on vacation just makes me wanna holler. Even though i can appear a snob atimes one thing i cant stand is another one lol. If i am on a long trip i mix it up by staying the most of the trip at a hostel and maybe the last two at a nice hotel where i can shower for 10 mins and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.