10 Nov 2008

Mothers Sing The Funniest Songs

My mother turned 59 on November 5th, a Jamaican born UK immigrant who came over when she was 6 years and has a well spoken British accent. It's a running joke in our family that our mother has the same mannerisms and ways of Hyacinth Bucket on the BBC sitcom Keeping Up Appearances.

The similarities are too real I can't even watch the show for falling about laughing and saying in my head "That's my mother!"

If she's not donning her handbag on the inside of her elbow with her coiffed hair styled similar to Queen Elizabeth II then she's always sipping a cup of tea or glass of wine come evening time.

She can sometimes come over as a bit snobbish in a non threatening way, it's always funny. I remember her claiming that the reason she had snow in her area and I didn't was simply because she was closer to Kent than I was.

She borrows DVD's from me all the time and having a large collection why not, she's the only one allowed to borrow my stuff. So at a hotel for drinks on Saturday she ask my sister's boyfriend if he's seen Hustle & Flow [she loves that movie] and starts to wave her hand in the air rapping quietly "Whoop that trick! Whoop that trick!" and when she was done with that moved onto tapping her hands lightly on the table rocking back and forth singing "You know it's hard out here for a pimp." [I still cannot believe that song won an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2005].

Thinking about it my mother may have always had a lil thug in her, despite being all proper.
Always requesting gangster movies from me over soft crap like rom coms. Was the first person I know of in 1990 who was up on Goodfellas with a quickness. And now she's talking about "Whoop that trick! Whoop that trick!"

I cannot believe I am going online to Amazon to buy the soundtrack for my mother ON HER REQUEST!!! How is my dad going to cope in that house with that blaring in the kitchen.

Bless her, we spent a good 10 minutes convincing her that Cee-Lo from Gnarles Barkley wasn't a midget and that he just had a very small neck and strange look to him. As far as she was concerned THAT.MAN.WAS.A.MIDGET!

1 comment:

  1. Pure Comedy!!!!

    You gotta love the parents though. Wow i can't believe she loves Hustle and Flow. I saw it once and doubt i will ever make an effort to see it again even though Terrence Howard did an amazing job playing it i just don't want to identify with that part of the world even if it exists lol.

    Tell mom to rock on with her bad self and remind her that "Pimpin aint easy"

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.